Sunday, December 15, 2013

Banana Multigrain Muffins

I hate letting food go to waste.  Of course it happens, but if I have the opportunity to spare something from the garbage I feel accomplished.  As it happens, there were 3 overly ripe bananas sitting on my counter this morning, and I was inspired to bake.  Besides, it's Sunday in December and baking just seemed like the natural thing to do.  At first I thought that I might make banana cookies, but I didn't have enough flour for the recipe I wanted to use.  Then, I remembered that I had a box of Trader Joe's Multigrain Pancake and Baking Mix in my cabinet.  Luckily, I found a recipe on the side of  the box for blueberry coffee cake, and I made some adjustments to suit my plan of making banana muffins.  I froze most of the muffins in doubled up zip top bags and kept some out for snacking and Jacob's lunch box.



Ingredients
2 1/2 cups Trader Joe's Multigrain Pancake and Baking Mix
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp (splash) vanilla
1 cup buttermilk (I didn't have buttermilk, so I  used 1 Tbsp white vinegar, and just under 1 cup 1% milk and let it sit for about 5 minutes)
1 egg
3 Tbsp Oil
3 ripe bananas mashed

Directions
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and spray mini muffin tin with cooking spray
  • combine buttermilk, egg, vanilla and oil with a wire wisk
  • add baking mix and sugar and mix until combined
  • fold in bananas until fully incorporated
Spoon mixture into greased mini-muffin tins and bake for 20-25 mins until wood toothpick (I used a wood chopstick) comes out clean and muffins are golden on top.  Let cool for a few minutes and then loosen around edges with a spoon.  Remove cooled muffins, and let cool completely on a wire rack.  Yields 24-30 muffins.  

No comments:

Post a Comment